Prince Andrew and Virginia Giuffre reach out-of-court settlement in sexual abuse lawsuit
Prince Andrew has reportedly agreed not to repeat his denial that he raped Virginia Giuffre under the terms of a confidential settlement.
The Queen’s son has reached a multi-million-pound deal with Ms Giuffre to stop her civil lawsuit against him going to trial.
But according to The Telegraph, a clause prevents the duke from repeating his claim that he does not recall meeting Ms Giuffre.
She, on the other hand, could soon be free to speak publicly under the terms of the agreement reached this weekend, the paper reports.
The Duke of York is now facing questions about his role in public life and how he plans to fund the financial settlement – which some reports suggested could be as much as £12m. There is speculation the Queen could use private funds to help cover the costs.
The lawsuit alleged the duke sexually assaulted Ms Giuffre on three occasions when she was a 17-year-old victim of sex trafficking by the late financier Jeffrey Epstein. Prince Andrew has denied the allegations.
Andrew keeps dukedom and naval rank after sex assault lawsuit settlement
ICYMI: The Duke of York is keeping his dukedom and his service rank of Vice Admiral and will remain a Counsellor of State despite agreeing an out-of-court settlement in a sexual assault lawsuit.
There are growing calls for Andrew to give up the York title, or for the Queen to remove it, in the wake of his financial agreement with Virginia Giuffre, who claimed he sexually assaulted her on three occasions when she was 17.
Palace sources said there has been no change to Andrew’s current titles since was the Queen stripped him of his honorary military roles last month, when he also stopped using his HRH style.
Andrew remains in the line of succession to the throne.
You can read the full story below.
Graeme Massie17 February 2022 03:36
After Prince Andrew’s settlement, police now investigating Prince Charles
A day after Prince Andrew settled a sexual assault lawsuit, the police announced they were investigating a charity led by Prince Charles.
London’s Metropolitan Police announced that they are investigating allegations that a charity led by Prince Charles offered to help a rich Saudi man get knighthood and British citizenship in return for a donation.
The police say that Michael Fawcett, one of Charles’ onetime closest advisers, offered Saudi billionaire Mahfouz bin Mahfouz help with his application for British citizenship and knighthood in lieu of him donating $13.5m.
Mr Mahfouz has denied any wrongdoing and the spokesperson for Charles also said that there was no such deal.
Maroosha Muzaffar17 February 2022 03:34
Prince Andrew settlement: Five unanswered questions
ICYMI: Prince Andrew has avoided a public trial over sex abuse allegations after reaching an out-of-court settlement with Virginia Giuffre.
But there are several unanswered questions.
Graeme Massie17 February 2022 02:22
Virginia Giuffre did not sign an NDA, her lawyer says
The Queen’s disgraced son reached a multi-million-pound settlement with Ms Giuffre on Tuesday to stop the civil case going to trial.
Now, Ms Giuffre’s lawyer has confirmed she did not sign an NDA as part of the agreement.
The settlement came just weeks before Prince Andrew was to be interviewed under oath for a deposition by Ms Giuffre’s attorneys.
Graeme Massie17 February 2022 01:34
‘Prince Andrew’s post-settlement statement about Virginia Giuffre is very different to what he said before’
ICYMI: “Back then, Giuffre was described as a money-grabber and a liar. These days, she’s a victim whose ‘pain’ is supposedly acknowledged by the disgraced royal,” writes Kathleen N Walsh.
She says Prince Andrew is apologising “for his proximity to Giuffre’s victimhood and nothing more” in his post-settlement statement.
You can read the full piece below.
Graeme Massie17 February 2022 00:30
Duke ‘did not want to overshadow Queen’s Platinum Jubilee’
Making sure nothing overshadows the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee was reportedly one of Prince Andrew’s main concerns in the out-of-court settlement with Virginia Giuffre.
According to The Telegraph, a clause said to prevent the two from talking about the case or the deal only applies until the celebrations in June are over.
Laurie Churchman16 February 2022 23:27
Charles ‘happy’ to help police probe into ‘cash-for-honours’ allegations
Prince Charles would be “happy” to help a Metropolitan Police investigation into an alleged cash-for-honours scandal, a source has said.
The probe was launched after Charles and a former close confidant were reported to officers over the claims.
Anti-monarchy group Republic made a formal complaint to Met detectives about the heir to the throne and Michael Fawcett last September, following a series of newspaper articles alleging a donor to The Prince’s Foundation was offered help securing a knighthood.
At the time Clarence House said the prince had “no knowledge” of the alleged cash-for-honours scandal.
Laurie Churchman16 February 2022 21:16
‘Prince Andrew did what only the privileged elite can do. Everyone will suffer for it’
“I have reported on the royals for years. Prince Andrew’s settlement will be the straw that broke the camel’s back,” writes Omid Scobie.
He says: “With the Sussexes long gone and Andrew permanently benched, there are fewer working royals than ever, yet the sovereign grant that funds the royal family continues to grow year-on-year.
“At a time when the value and purpose of the monarchy post-Queen Elizabeth II is coming under growing scrutiny by the public, this – unlike Andrew’s problems – won’t be a problem that can be silenced with money.”
You can read the full piece below.
Laurie Churchman16 February 2022 19:05
‘We’re getting to the point where we just don’t want the royal family any more’
“The Queen’s first meaningful contribution to public life has been to pony up the hush money for the alleged victim of her son’s sexual assault,” according to The Independent’s political sketch writer Tom Peck.
He warns people could soon decide “they just don’t want the royal family any more”.
You can read the full story below.
Laurie Churchman16 February 2022 18:31
Queen back to work at Windsor Castle day after son settles sex case
The Queen has held an in-person audience the day after the Duke of York settled his sexual assault lawsuit, meeting the official liaison between the sovereign and the armed forces.
The 95-year-old monarch, who already had the official engagement set in her diary, met the incoming Defence Services Secretary Major General Eldon Millar, and his predecessor Rear Admiral James Macleod at Windsor Castle on Wednesday.
It is the head of state’s first in-person appearance since her Covid scare six days ago, suggesting she may have escaped the virus despite coming into contact with the Prince of Wales, who tested positive two days later.
Andy Gregory16 February 2022 16:13
Registration is a free and easy way to support our truly independent journalism
By registering, you will also enjoy limited access to Premium articles, exclusive newsletters, commenting, and virtual events with our leading journalists
Already have an account? sign in